Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Buckle up, it's the Law. Except...



Picture this:
You're taking a quick cruise down I-95, a little late for work but you're not sweating it just yet. All of a sudden you look in your rearview and see "the man" tailing you. Before you know it, those red and blue lights start dancing in unison with that ear-piercing siren. You're being pulled over. After a 45 minute stop, you find yourself with a speeding ticket along with a seatbelt violation. Oops.

But as you're pulling back onto the highway, a driver on a motorcycle breezes by you.

Question: Why are car drivers held responsible for wearing seatbelts while motorcycle drivers don't even need to wear a helmet, let alone a seatbelt. But yet it's legal?

As long as cars and motorcycles share the same roads, I believe the same laws should apply to every automobile driver. What exactly makes the difference? I decided to ask my father, Frank Kreidler, a lawyer for over 35 years. "It's just one of those things that can't be explained Kimmy, what can I say?"

If anyone knows the answer to this question, please don't leave me hanging. I'd like to know.

No comments: